Producers Direct is an award winning organisation led by farmers, for farmers. We operate globally with offices in Peru, Kenya and London, working through a network of producer organisations across East Africa and Latin America. We have been awarded grants by leading institutions such as the World Bank to bring together leaders in climate and agricultural data and help farmers respond to climate risks. Through this work we aim to collect and integrate multiple sources of data and present this back to farmers with a personalized, accessible perspective on how to adapt and respond to specific challenges.
Key tasks include:
● Support Head of Digital Programmes and the Data & Digital Team in delivering the digital tools as part of Producer Direct’s data strategy
● Help maintain and improve performance of existing tools including preparing our digital tools for growth to reach an increasing number of users across two regions
● Developing both the front end and back end of our tools as directed by Head of
● Working closely with other team members to implement user research and provide
guidance and advice on technical solutions in coordination with the Head of Digital Programmes
● Support users in Peru to resolve technical issues as required
● Other activities as requested by Producers Direct management
● Eager and ready to play a key role in delivering an impactful data system for farmers
● Passionate about our model and approach to supporting and empowering smallholder
● Confident working independently and taking ownership of feature development
● Willing to try new things and take the unconventional (even non technical / digital) approach to solving problems
● Creative and innovative, and excited about working with a small, passionate, diverse & creative team
● Experienced in SQL
● Experienced in SQL Design specifically MySQL
● Familiar with Vue 3, Nuxt 3, and Node.JS (express, Koa)
● Knowledge of TypeScript and offline storage technologies like indexedDB
● Familiar with the Laravel Framework
● Understanding of dev-ops, particularly using AWS
● Experience with cloud deployments e.g. Bitbucket pipelines
● Experience with both unit and end to end testing
● Bi-lingual: English and Spanish. We are a multinational team working across Latin America, East Africa and Europe and language skills are essential
● Flexible approach to problem-solving that may include using low / non tech solutions
● Experience designing the architecture of digital tools
● Excellent interpersonal & communication skills (written/verbal), and can explain technical concepts to less technical colleagues
● Comfortable working in a small team/startup environment
● Comfortable working across multiple cultures and languages
● Self-starter, flexible and able to work on tight deadlines
● Undergraduate degree OR relevant related experience in software development /
data analysis / product design
● Experience in working in a rural setting with farmers or low IT literacy populations
● Experience working for social enterprise / NGO / charitable organisation
● Salary: $20,000 per annum and planilla benefits (after completing probationary
● Initial 12-month fixed term contract, pending the completion of a successful 3-month probationary review period, with scope for longer-term contract extension.
● Hands on experience and responsibility from day one and the opportunity to make a real impact in a small, but ambitious organisation.
● A dynamic, creative and rewarding working environment;
● The opportunity to travel and work with smallholder farmers in rural Peru; and the
chance to make a real impact in a small, but ambitious organisation!
Candidates can reside anywhere in the world.
We are an organisation that is owned and led by smallholder farmers. Since 2009, we have been working to pioneer a new model – one centred on smallholders taking leadership and developing innovative solutions to the challenges they face. — Producers Direct's full profile